Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Beach. My Remedy.

There is something so stinkin relaxing about the beach.  I don't know what it is...the sound of the waves or the smell of the salt water, the breeze or the fact that I don't know anyone else here.  Or maybe it's the fact that God so brilliantly combined all those things :) But every time I come to the beach, I am reminded of God's greatness and that everything will be ok.  He's got the ocean under control, so I'm pretty sure He can take care of little ol' me! 

Almost every summer for as long as I can remember, we have joined Dad's side of the family for a week in a beach house in North Carolina.  Honestly, I used to hate being out on the beach.  It was too hot, and I'd rather be inside coloring with Grandma! (I was a boring child.)   But Mom always made me go out for a while, and now, there is something about the ocean that is...healing :)

This year, we will be spending week one with Dad's side (his sister, her two kids and their families, including four very adorable, very energetic little boys!).  Week two, we will switch houses and be with the Fiordelises (Aunt Beth and Uncle Bill, their three kids, and Grandmom). 

I plan on spending the weeks simply enjoying my family and all that comes with being at the beach!  And, I plan on finally resting.  Oh, how I need to rest! Not only my body, but my mind and my spirit, too.  Sleep will be lovely, and devotions will be sweet and refreshing.  ...I say those rather confidently, but I believe God has given us this trip for just those things.  I need this time both to reflect and look forward to the future--without fear or anxiety.  I need this time to laugh and cry as I break down and am built back up by the Restorer (I'm not sure that's a word...hehe). So I thank God for this opportunity and pray you all find time for whatever it is you need. That you will make time for those things.  I sometimes wish I was smart enough to schedule "quiet time" into my life without feeling guilty! 

Anyway, after stopping to see Dad's parents and spending a lot of hours in the car, here's a look at day.one.    :) 

We arrived to find that the tide comes in a lot farther than it did last time we were here!  Just last year, that fence was buried in the ground and those HUUUGE sand bags were covered with sand.  Now, high tide washes up onto the second or third stair, and well...the sand is disappearing!  D:  eek!


My toes were reintroduced to the sand and salty water...


We got a head start on family photos...


Aaaaand...Chase practiced his modeling skills....


The fun of catching minnows and building sandcastles began (don't worry, they'll get better :) )...


Cute shells lined up on the stair rail were admired :) ...


Pretty pink clouds accented the horizon...


And I propped my feet up, forgetting my cares and soaking in the peace that encircled me :) ...


Aaaaaahhhh...vacation has begun! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment